ava

ava

Monday, July 12, 2010

I will start off by saying I'm a virgin! yep a 38 year old virgin, to blogging that is. I'm a slow start but once I get going there is no telling how it will end. It seems the diabetic child thrives on consistency and routine, something I have never really been interested in. I'm a run outta the house and hope there's enough gas in the car to get where I'm going kinda girl. You know the one, when your driving and the light starts to ring and you make bets with yourself as to how far you can really make it! Cross your finger's and hope for the best! Yeah that's me! This has not always served me well with Ava. She likes to take things nice and slow and often asks ..."Mama, why are we going so fast? What are we in a hurry for?" and it's a valid question! Since rarely is there any time schedule in what we do! I'm just in a hurry to get to whatever "it" is. This has been one of the most difficult weeks as a mom of a diabetic. There were some babysitting issue's and so as it turns out my 18 yr. old and her boyfriend watched Ava for a few hours for me. I got the call we all dread! " mom Ava's blood sugars keep going up!" Clearly her pump was not working correctly. I said OK just give her an injection and I will do a sight change when I get home. Then it came....."Mom I think I gave Ava too much insulin" and they did! 3 x's the amount she should have gotten! I will tell you I can't even begin to tell you how I felt! I called 911 and Morgan took Ava to my sisters where the ambulance met them. Now at this point my sister's good sense kicked in and she told Ava the ambulance was here to "give her a ride" which anyone that knows this little girl would know this would be a highlight! This kid is all about public service! She already knows she wants to be an animal cop and makes me pretend I'm an abusive owner and she is taking me in! So for her this was a thrill, for my other daughter Morgan this was a nightmare as it was for me! I was on the freeway stuck behind every old person or broken down car that has ever been on the road! I pleaded with God to please let me get there, I screamed the most gut wrenching cry, I asked why this was happening to my baby and frankly I said a lot of things I would be in deep trouble with Ava for! But I got there by the grace of God and she was OK! The lowest her blood sugar went was 50. Now this is low but I have had lower. I had know idea how her body would respond to this.
When I got there after many wrong turns and parking where I was not suppose to I saw a little girl with a big smile and real good story to tell. Of course she had know real understanding of what had happened and I'm thankful for that. Now the fun part starts! The true and frightening part about this disease is that doctor's often do not have a real grasp in regards to the pump or even diabetes's for that matter! And so this is where my warning comes in, question EVERYTHING! They do not know everything and in some cases a lot less then we do as caregivers for these kids! The hospital admitted her and treated her for slight DKA. Yeah I know if your not a parent of a diabetic you don't know what that means, just trust me it's not good. But with the help of My sister Jessy who is my personal spokeshole! Who when I give her the "look" she knows to start asking question's a sort of good guy bad guy routine if you will, where I'm always the good guy. We spent a long night there where the nurses actually over bolused
Ava! yeah you heard me right! They gave her too much insulin also! So We all started the big press to get released and back on the pump routine. They refused to let Ava be put back on the pump there because.... get this! The nurses and doctor's don't know or understand the inner workings of the pump! Scared? yeah we are too! and so we got home safe and sound and Ava was bossing us all around the next day! This has to be the end of this week right! Nope not even close bud! But right now I'm enjoying listening to her heavy breath next to me and I'm willing to call it a night!














4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Day One, and you have already made me cry. This blog is going to be great.
    Dorth

    ReplyDelete
  3. this was a very scary day but I'm glad I was able to be there for Ava. Once again I was reminded of why they call it, "practicing medicine." It's frustrating when they pretend they know what they are talking about and that YOU are the idiot. I'm sure Ava will have more scary moments in her life as we all do but I do know Jesus is watching over her just as he watches over the sparrows. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Touching! Knowledge is power.... you have to be your own and your child's advocate. My 6 year old's hematologist at CHOC straight told me to learn everything about her blood clotting disorder because... if she was taken to any other hospital the physicians most likely will not know what to do. Fight and Pray and you will be shown the way!

    ReplyDelete